How Estate Executors Hire Lawyers
This is one of the first decisions you get to make as an executor.
Choose wisely – changing lawyers is time-consuming and expensive.
After you do your preliminary research, interview prospective candidates. Look for referrals and search law firm websites.
Here are some factors that could affect your choice of lawyers.
You may need different expertise if:
- the will is being contested or does not make sense
- the former spouse wants to sue for support
- the estate includes a business
- the estate may be bankrupt
- the estate includes special assets like real estate or a business
The right lawyer can refer you to specialists in each of these areas.
You want to be confident about the advice you receive. Without the appropriate level of trust, nothing gets done.Estates, Probate On: January 28th, 2011